Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 3 Hr Total Time: 3 Hr 15 Mins
Braised Lamb Shanks
- Preheat oven to 170C. Trim lamb shanks of excess fat, pat dry then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan. Brown shanks on all sides then place in a baking dish big enough to fit all 4 shanks and deep enough to hold 2 litres of liquid.
- In the same pan, sauté vegetables until soft. Add red wine, bring to the boil then reduce red wine to half. Add stock, bring to the boil then pour liquid into the baking dish.
- Cover tightly with foil and braise for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until the meat is very tender that it falls off the bone.
- When the meat is ready, take the meat out of the dish and cover with foil. To make the sauce, take the herbs out of the liquid (if there are big bits) then blend the liquid until smooth, be careful when blending hot liquids.
- If you don't want to blend the liquid, simple strain off the vegetables and reduce the liquid in a sauce pot until your desired consistency. Please note this will result to less sauce.
- Serve lamb shanks with mash potato or polenta and pour sauce on top.
- Feel free to cook the shanks in your slow cooker following manufacturer's instructions.
- Click here for my velvety mash potato recipe.