Velvety Mash Potato
Learn how to make restaurant-style mash in your own kitchen, with everyday tools!
- Peel and cut potatoes into quarters. Put in a medium pot filled with water then add salt.
- Boil potatoes until cooked through. There should be no resistance when you stab it with a fork. Drain and put back in the pot.
- Mash potatoes. Add butter, turn stove on low. Keep mashing the potatoes and butter together until incorporated. Add half of hot milk. With a wooden spoon, whip in milk until smooth.
- Push all the mash through a sieve into a bowl or another pot. Add the rest of the milk. Whip with the wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy.
- Taste. Normally it shouldn't need more salt. Season if necessary. Serve immediately.
- Use unsalted butter, using salted butter will make this recipe salty because the potatoes are boiled in salty water. If you only have salted butter, then use only half of the salt in the recipe for the water.