I’ve been baking for people with gluten and lactose intolerance lately and it’s a welcome challenge to be able to adapt my recipes for them. We’re lucky that these days we have so many ingredients available in our local supermarket or specialty store and most of them substitute 1:1 that catering to dietaries have become so much easier. Today, I’m sharing my gluten-free & dairy-free recipe for yummy banana nut muffins. Now don’t hit that close button just yet, if you’re not gluten-free, just use plain flour instead and this recipe still works like a charm. And if you do not have almond meal, use gluten-free flour for the gluten-free option or plain flour for non-gf option to substitute for the almond meal. Easy-peasy!
This recipe is super easy. I actually love it with pecans and walnuts, but you can use whichever is readily available to you. Both the maple syrup or vanilla really gives that delicious aroma and another layer of flavour that perfectly blends with the nuts and bananas. This is not a recipe to skip, it’s so quick and easy to make, you don’t even need to whip out your mixer, just bowls and your spatula.
Click on the photos to shop for the products. Most products ship internationally.
Mrs.Fancypants earns a small commission from affiliate links, when you buy the products above. If you’re in Australia, feel free to check the availability on advertised sites.
You must be thinking, with all the substations and combos that I’ve given you for this recipe, how many times did I test this? Well… too many times that I’ve lost count! All my recipes are tested before I publish them and I regularly update them if needed. So yes, I’ve made all the combos I suggested to you not once but several times so you can rest assured, all of them work.
Now before you pop the muffins in the oven, don’t forget to sprinkle coarse raw sugar on top. This gives your muffins that crunchy crust and gives them that professional baker look. They also make for amazing photos! Speaking of, when you make a batch (or two!) don’t forget to snap and tag! I love seeing your creations and it also gives me direction on which type of recipes you guys love. Also, don’t be a stranger and leave a comment below if you have any questions about the recipe. Now, gluten and/or lactose intolerant or not, let’s get baking!
Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free
Banana Nut Muffins
Makes 6 large muffins or 12 standard muffins
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a large 6 cup muffin pan or standard 12 cup muffin pan. In a medium bowl, mash bananas add eggs, vanilla or maple syrup and oil. Mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl, sift together, brown sugar, flour, almond meal and baking powder. Make a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients. Mix until almost incorporated. Add the nuts then mix until incorporated.
- Pour into lines muffin cups. Sprinkle 1/2 a tbsp of raw sugar on top of each muffin. Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- If you are not gluten-free, simply use plain flour instead of gluten-free flour.
- If you do not have almond meal in your pantry, simply substitute plain flour or gluten-free flour (if you're gluten-free) for all the amount of almond meal.