Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
Enough for 1 x 25-28cm tart
- In a medium bowl, sift the sugar and flour together.
- Cut the butter into the flour using a pastry cutter or your fingers or a food processor.
- Add 2 of the yolks then mix the dough until it forms a ball, add cold water 1 tbsp at a time if dough is too dry.
- If the dough feels soft, flatten to a disc and wrap with cling film. Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out into 3 mm thick disc and line a 25-28cm tart tin. Dock with a fork and refrigerate for at least 1.5 hours. You want to get your pastry really cold. Pre-heat oven to 190C.
- Cut a sheet of baking paper enough to have a 1cm overhang. If the baking paper is not big enough, use two sheets. Crumple the baking paper twice, this helps the pie weights fill the corners. Place the baking paper on top of the dough and press the sides so it adheres to the corner of the tin. Place pie weights on top. Blind bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and remove pie weights from the baked tart shell.
- Lightly beat the third yolk and add a tablespoon of water. Evenly brush the tart shell with egg wash then baked for a further 5 minutes to set the egg. The tart should be golden brown and crispy.
- Remove tart shell from oven and cool down completely. Once tart shell is cool, it is ready for use.
Leave a Reply