Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 20 Mins Cook Time: 45 Mins Total Time: 1 Hr 5 Mins
Prawn & Fennel Salad
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Wash fennel and take off the first layer. Trim the fronds and reserve.
- Cut each fennel into quarters from the top. Reserve 1 quarter for shaving, then cut the rest into halves with the core of the fennel keeping the piece together. Arrange on a baking tray, brush with olive oil and roast until soft and caramelised, about 20-30 minutes. Cool down.
- In the meantime, slice lemon into very thin rounds(you can use a slicer if you have one) and bring sugar, water and vinegar to the boil. Add lemon, cover and let sit until completely cold and lemon soft. Drain and reserve liquid.
- Peel and rinse prawns. Set aside. Then with a slicer or a knife, slice the fennel very thinly like paper and put into ice water to crisp up.
- To serve, drain shaved fennel and place in a large bowl. Add the rest of ingredients and use reserved liquid from the lemon as dressing, to taste. Season with salt then sprinkle chopped almonds if using.