Category: baked pasta, family meal, make-ahead, pasta, winter
Yields: 8 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr Total Time: 1 Hr 10 Mins
Someone asked me before, “if there was only one food you could eat everyday, for the rest of your life, what would it be?” And I didn’t even gave it a second thought, and answered, “Lasagna!”
Update 08-08-2021: Corrected the US customary conversions. Beef bolognese recipe follows.
- Mornay sauce:
- This recipe makes a 9x13in baking tray. Preheat oven to 180C. On your stove, bring red sauce to the boil then turn flame off and set aside. Lightly grease baking dish then set aside. Make mornay sauce:
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add herbs to infuse the butter. When butter is starts bubbling, add flour and whisk for 3 minutes.
- Gradually pour hot milk while continuously whisking, to avoid lumps in your sauce.
- Bring to the boil then slow down to a simmer and stir pecorino romano until it melts. add nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the surface of the sauce with plastic wrap to avoid getting skin on top of your white sauce. Set aside. Assembly
- Take your baking tray, white sauce, red sauce, pasta, salt and pepper, and grated mozzarella and place them within arms reach. To make layering easier, divide both sauces into 4 equal parts.
- Take your baking tray and cover the bottom with 1 part of the red sauce. Cover with a layer of pasta.
- Pour 1 part of the red sauce over the pasta then pour 1 part of the white sauce over the red sauce and season with salt and pepper. Cover with another layer of pasta. Repeat this step 2 more times.
- Finally, pour the last part of the white sauce (you should only have white sauce and grated mozzarella left at this stage) and cover with all the grated mozzarella. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes or until a knife goes through without any resistance. An Italian chef once told me that lasagna is the only pasta that should be overcooked, it should never be al dente.
- You'll need my recipe for beef bolognese. Find the recipe here.
- Lasagna will bubble up, and to avoid unnecessary mess and extra cleaning, I place my baking dish on a tray lined with baking paper to catch any drips.
Leave a Reply