Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 2 Hr 15 Mins Total Time: 2 Hr 30 Mins
This recipe makes up to 10 servings.
- Heat a large pot with a little bit of oil, then brown bacon. Take bacon out and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat vegetable oil and cook mushrooms. Push mushrooms to the side then saute onion and garlic. Add carrot, cook until soft. Keep the pan hot. Add mince beef, season with salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce.
- When minced is browned, add the bacon, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and stock. Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.
- Finish with cheese and peas. Bring to a boil then add torn basil leaves, if using. Season with salt and pepper and sugar, according to your taste. If making ahead, no need to add the basil. Add when you reheat the sauce before serving.
- Can use speck instead of bacon, or can leave out the bacon, but it adds to the flavour of your sauce.
- If you don't have beef stock, feel free to use water and bouillon cubes/stock powder.
- I like that the peas give it a bit of color variety and additional vegetables. You can use frozen peas from the freezer just make sure you simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- You can freeze this for up to 3 months.
- Feel free to use substitutions for the protein like, chicken, turkey, veal or pork or a mix of pork and veal. When you do substitute, you will also need to change the stock to chicken or vegetable stock.
- For vegetarian option, use vegetable stock, up the veggies in the recipe and for the protein use chickpeas, lentils or beans. You have to add the legumes towards the end so you don't end up with a soggy mess.
Leave a Reply